Cree Family History Network

The search for your Cree, Crie, Crea, Cre, Crey and Chree origins

WILLIAM CREE IS THE 1st NAME IN THE 1st LISBURN PRES/CHURCH .1768.

Views: 201

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Leonard,

The identification of the very first name in the 1st Lisburn Presbyterian Church in 1768 as being William Cree is a very good find because it is such an early date. I am sending by post some further information that I previously collected and that includes an extract from the 9 November 1750 Belfast Newsletter where a William Cree, from Ballylanaghan (near Knockbreda) won a prize for the quality of his weaving at the Linen Hall in Belfast. We cannot yet say that the two William Cree are the same but the general weaving connection is interesting.

I am wondering if there are any other Cree names in the various presbyterian records that exist from an early date?

Trevor. 

Hi Leonard,

It was great to meet you on Saturday and I have started to work through all the material that you gave me about your family. Great news too about the Lisburn 1st Presbyterian Register. Did you take a note of what the listing of William Cree was about. For example was he baptised in 1768? Or married then?

It certainly changes our view of the Lisburn Cree lines. Until now the earliest I thought there were Crees there was about 1806 and that they had come there from County Down - perhaps Bangor or somewhere near Newtownards. Now we know there was a Cree 40 years earlier. And a William too!

It's great that you have agreed to take the DNA test too. I look forward to seeing the result which should come through a month or so after you send off the test samples. I have written to you separately about this.

Best Wishes,

Mike

THEY SAY THEY WOULD EMAIL ME WITH ALL THE INFO.AS ALL THAT IS PUT AWAY AND THIS THE ONLY WAY I CAN GET WHAT IM LOOKING FOR.I WILL SEND TO YOU AS I GET IT . 

Trevor Cree said:

Leonard,

The identification of the very first name in the 1st Lisburn Presbyterian Church in 1768 as being William Cree is a very good find because it is such an early date. I am sending by post some further information that I previously collected and that includes an extract from the 9 November 1750 Belfast Newsletter where a William Cree, from Ballylanaghan (near Knockbreda) won a prize for the quality of his weaving at the Linen Hall in Belfast. We cannot yet say that the two William Cree are the same but the general weaving connection is interesting.

I am wondering if there are any other Cree names in the various presbyterian records that exist from an early date?

Trevor. 

YES I HAD A VERY GOOD DAY .THANK YOU. THE SAME DAY I WENT TO SEE THE GRAVES AND FOUND SAM CREE THEN WENT TO 1ST LISBURN CHURCH.THEY SAY THEY WILL LOOK UP ALL THE INFO WE ARE LOOKING FOR AS IT IS ALL PUT AWAY .AND EMAIL TO ME .SO I WILL SEND IT TO YOU AS I GET IT ..I CALLED TO MY ANT WHO IS JAMES CREES SISTER AND IT SEEMS THE LINE WE ARE LOOKING AT IS THE RIGHT ONE.

Mike Spathaky said:

Hi Leonard,

It was great to meet you on Saturday and I have started to work through all the material that you gave me about your family. Great news too about the Lisburn 1st Presbyterian Register. Did you take a note of what the listing of William Cree was about. For example was he baptised in 1768? Or married then?

It certainly changes our view of the Lisburn Cree lines. Until now the earliest I thought there were Crees there was about 1806 and that they had come there from County Down - perhaps Bangor or somewhere near Newtownards. Now we know there was a Cree 40 years earlier. And a William too!

It's great that you have agreed to take the DNA test too. I look forward to seeing the result which should come through a month or so after you send off the test samples. I have written to you separately about this.

Best Wishes,

Mike

Leonard and Mike,

I have found an 1891/92 photograph of Wesley Football Club which includes William Cree:

http://www.wesleyfc.co.uk/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=451

The following note was written "It is not known when this Wesley team stopped existing , but there is a connection between this team and todays. This photo is a Mr William Cree , the grandfather of Don Savage one of the founder members of the present Wesley Club who were founded in 1956 and were also from the Wesley street area of the Low Road in Lisburn."

Further photographs of the club can be seen here:

http://www.wesleyfc.co.uk/gallery2/main.php

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Trevor Cree.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service