Cree Family History Network

The search for your Cree, Crie, Crea, Cre, Crey and Chree origins

Hi, I'm looking for the parents of Joshua Cree who was born in Newark(?) in about 1770, and married Sarah Hand(s) 21 Mar 1796, I believe, but not too sure, that his Parents were named William and Gertrude.  Any help would be most appreciated.  Thanks, John

Views: 142

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi John,

You were spot on with the year but not the place Joshua Cree was baptised on 7 June 1770 in Clowne, Derbyshire. By coincidence, as I was passing through Newark last Friday, I visited the house where Joshua and Sarah are believed to have settled and took a photo of it. They were the progenitors of all the Newark Crees.

The house is called Crees House and is in Crees Lane on the boundary of Newark and Farndon. If they didn't live there, then their descendants did until the 1980s. See http://www.cree.name/person.htm?id=64.

We have never found the marriage record of his parents and soi do not know Gertrude (or Gartrude)'s maiden surname.

Please let me know your interest in this line. I think I am approximately a tenth cousin of the present day Newark Crees of my generation.

Best Wishes,

Mike Spathaky

Attachments:

Hi Mike, thanks for the swift reply, my interest in the Cree family stems from my Great Grandmother Harriet who married George Thomas Brown, she was, I think, the daughter of Joseph Cree (b.1833) and Jane Dakin.   In some of my research I've made a note against Williams name pertaining to Clowne and also to Anston Yorkshire with the date 1758 (Yesterday's Journeys) - but I may well be barking up the wrong tree with this!!

Cheers, John

Hi John,
No it's the right tree. See http://www.cree.name/person.htm?id=54

"Circa Jun 1758 William Cree and Gertrude Cree (married name) moved from Anston, Yorkshire, and settled at Clowne, Derbyshire, England, accompanied by William Cree, Elizabeth Cree and Mary Cree. The Settlement Certificate is dated 1758 but the family were clearly in Clowne from 1752 at the latest. (Anston is right on the Yorkshire-Notts boundary and only about 2 miles from Throapham where Mary returned to have her son William.)."

The Settlement Certificate is dated 1758 but the family were clearly in Clowne from 1752 at the latest. (Anston is right on the Yorkshire-Notts boundary and only about 2 miles from Throapham where Mary returned to have her son William.)

We don't know when or why they were in Anston in the first place and particularly it would be interesting to discover why William was entitled to a Settlement Certificate from Anston. It may be where Gartrude came from and/or where they were married - we have no records of these events. We could do with examining the Anston PRs and BTs I think.

Best Wishes,

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks again for the info.   I've had a quick look at the Anston PRs but there's nothing on there relating William Cree or any Cree member, I suppose I will have to try another avenue, there must be something somewhere relating to William!!

Thanks again,

John

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Trevor Cree.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service