Cree Family History Network

The search for your Cree, Crie, Crea, Cre, Crey and Chree origins

Sorry, I have taken a break from genealogy but here's the info on the second marriage:

After Annie Topping died in 1911 George married Mary Gordon Atkinson on Sept 19, 1912 at Saint Annes Church of Ireland, Belfast, Ireland.  At this time I have no other information on Mary.

Their children were:

John Cree, born Apr 4, 1913, Belfast, Antrim, Ireland; departed Belfast aboard the Duchess Atholl on Nov 23, 1929 arriving in Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada on Nov 30, 1929; married Agnes Frew Simpson Feb 27, 1932, McMasterville, PQ, Canada; 1935 lived in McMasterville, La Vallée-du-Richelieu, Quebec, Canada, working as a Fertilizer Operator (at CIL as well); 1949-1957 lived at 46 Connolly Street, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, working as a Foreman; 1965 lived at 112C Olivet St, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, working as a foreman; 1975 lived at RR1, Italy Cross, Nova Scotia, was retired.

John and Agnes' children are: 1) an unnamed baby born April 1932 in McMasterville, PQ, died Apr 25, 1932 in McMasterville, buried in Anglican Cemetary of Chambly, Canton, Quebec, Canada; 2) Joan Catherine Cree born Mar 1, 1935 in McMasterville, PQ, Christened Mar 31, 1935 in McMasterville; she married July 2 1954 in Sussex, New Brunswick, Canada and had 2 sons and 2 daughter; died Sept 6 1996 in Mount Uniacke, Hants, Nova Scotia, Canada and 3) another daughter. (details of possible living people have been left out)

Mary Cree - born Oct 17, 1914, Belfast

Grace Cree - born Jul 5, 1917, Belfast

Robert David Cree - born Mar 18, 1920, Belfast

Thomas Crothers Cree - born Jun 25, 1923, Belfast

Henrietta Florence Cree - born Feb 27, 1926, Belfast

I presently don't have any information on the above children.

I have supporting documents for all of the above. . . .and a pic of John which I will upload

Views: 452

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've just been randomly looking around Ancestry and I've found George Boomer Cree (36yrs) (Cree No 9869) and his family in Canada in 1916 in a census of Saskatchewan. He is shown with his wife Elinor M Cree (33 yrs), son Hugh S Cree (10 yrs) and daughter Grace Cree (7yrs). George Boomer Cree is described as a Clergyman (Presbyterian). They were living in Hubbard, Saskatchewan. He has been identified as being part of Branch 16B. The Bangor (Whitepsots) Branch. At least we now know where this particular George Boomer Cree went to, namely Canada.

It's exciting when we find more about people in our family - though I hadn't researched George Boomer as I have not connected him to my family.  I believe that my lines are 17 (following Jane Cree) and 23B (following George Cree) - -23C seems to have most of the same people but I haven't looked at this closely yet.  Is there a connection I haven't seen with Line 16B?

Catherine,

I'm not sure that there is a connection apart from Canada. However the more pieces that we can fit together about the County Down Cree the better,

Just to let you know, John Cree is still alive at 101 years of age and living in Nova Scotia, Canada.  I am the 2nd daughter mentioned:  Elizabeth Mary (Cree) Dunham - DOB July 25, 1938 McMasterville, Quebec. - married Frank Ernest Dunham in Belfast, N. Ireland - 4 daughters.  John also had a son, Andrew, born around 1942, in McMasterville, Quebec- died around 6 months of age.

Just found this site; will send further info later

Elizabeth Cree Dunham said:

Just to let you know, John Cree is still alive at 101 years of age and living in Nova Scotia, Canada.  I am the 2nd daughter mentioned:  Elizabeth Mary (Cree) Dunham - DOB July 25, 1938 McMasterville, Quebec. - married Frank Ernest Dunham in Belfast, N. Ireland - 4 daughters.  John also had a son, Andrew, born around 1942, in McMasterville, Quebec- died around 6 months of age.

Just found this site; will send further info later

Hi Elizabeth

I am sorry that I included John - I had no idea he was still alive or I would not have included him . . . my ancestry tree is private but I have updated my tree as well.

Please note the following re John Cree:

JOHN CREE: Birth Certificate information (dated June 26, 1913)

DOB: April 12, 1913 - Belfast, N. Ireland

Father:  George Cree  (Occupation:  Bookkeeper)

Mother: Mary Cree

Address:  Canmore Street., Belfast, N.Ireland

MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE FOR JOHN CREE AND AGNES FREW SIMPSON

Date:  February 27, 1932

Place:  McMasterville, Quebec

AGNES FREW (SIMPSON)

DOB: May 3, 1913

Place: Parish Stevenston, Co. Ayr, Scotland

Father:  Patrick Simpson     (Occupation: Dynamite Labourer)

Mother:  Martha (McCulloch) Simpson

Address:  Limekiln Road, Stevenston, Scotland

Death:  September 4, 1975 - Dartmouth, Nova Scotia  Buried:  Dartmouth Memorial Gardens, Dartmouth, NS

Sisters:  Betty (Simpson) Downie, Montreal - Peggy (Simpson) Smith, Montreal - Chris (Simpson) Genner, England

Brothers:  George Simpson, McMasterville, Quebec

JOHHN CREE'S 2ND MARRIAGE TO:

MARY CHRISTINA GRACIE

DOB:  August 24, 1916  Tors Cove, Newfoundland

Children:  1 son 2 daughters from previous marriage

Marriage to John Cree:  December 4, 1976 - St. John Vianney Church, Sackville, NS

DIED:  February 8, 2002  Buried:  Gate of Heaven Cemetery, Sackville, NS

CORRECTION TO INFORMATION:

Joan Cree (daughter of John Cree) - had 1 son and 3 daughters:  Scott, Katherine (deceased), Sandra and Patricia.

FURTHER INFORMATION ON JOHN CREE CAN BE ON AN ARTICLE WRITTEN BY HIS GREAT-GRANDAUGTER FOR THE "CANADIAN MUSEUM OF IMMIGRATION - PIER 21) - SEE:

Leaving Behind the Emerald Isle CMlP21

George Frederick Valentine Cree and Mary Gordon Atkinson were my great grandparents. Their daughter, Mary Cree,  married Norman Howie and they had 5 children, Sarah, Norman, George, Kenneth and Grace. Sarah Howie married Andrew Nelson. I am the son of Sarah Howie and Andrew Nelson. When I was a child in the 1960s my grandparents lived on Alliance Drive in Belfast across the street from my great grandmother, Mary Gordon Atkinson who, by this time was married to Fred Sloan. My great grandfather had died before I was born. Fred died when I was very young but I remember him being there in my very earliest visits to my great grandmother's house. I am not sure exactly when it was but I seem to remember being in my early to mid teens when my great grandmother died. My grandparents, Norman and Mary Howie (nee Cree) both died in 1999. 

The information on G.F.V. Cree is accurate except for the last entry on the children born to the couple. Do you have additional information on Henrietta Florence Cree? I have never heard of her, however, John (my dad) did have a niece with that name.

I do not have alot of information on her - other than her birth was 27 Feb 1926 in Belfast.  I have 2 sources for the information - One is NIBirths which can be found on the One Name Study page and the second another relative has confirmed the birth.  It was believed that she died very young but I do not have any date or proof of that.

Elizabeth Cree-Dunham said:

The information on G.F.V. Cree is accurate except for the last entry on the children born to the couple. Do you have additional information on Henrietta Florence Cree? I have never heard of her, however, John (my dad) did have a niece with that name.
Thanks. Now I am really curious. I'll phone the relatives in Ireland this week and see what they know. Dad (john) would have been about 13 years and would surely have remembered her and would have talked about her as he was always talking about his family back in Ireland. I have many pictures of the second family but never one showing a younger sister to Dad.

If you do find out any further information, I would love to know more about her
Elizabeth Cree-Dunham said:

Thanks. Now I am really curious. I'll phone the relatives in Ireland this week and see what they know. Dad (john) would have been about 13 years and would surely have remembered her and would have talked about her as he was always talking about his family back in Ireland. I have many pictures of the second family but never one showing a younger sister to Dad.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Trevor Cree.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service